UPSC IAS Prelims Public Administration Question Paper 2010
Public Administration (UPSC) Series B – 2010
1. According to Elton Mayo, a worker’s performance is primarily related to
(a) Interactive setting in an organization
(b) The worker’s variables personality
(c) Technology and tools made available to the worker
(d) Socially acquired attitudes of the worker in the post and outside the factory
2. Consider the following statements with regard to Citizens’ Charter:
- The idea of Citizens’ Charter had evolved in Britain as a part of neo-liberal ethics.
- It was articulated by John Major.
- It contains demands of factory workers.
- It has elements of class hegemony.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct? H ■
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 4 I (d) 1 only
3. Match: I List I (Characteristic)
A. Personality characteristics C. Leadership is multidimensional
B. What leaders do? D. Continuum from authoritarian to consultative
List II (Leadership Theory / Model)
- Three-dimensional theory
- Behavioural theory
- Decision-participation model
- Trait theory
- Situational theory
4. Which of the following statements reflect the views of Frederick Taylor?
- An industrial organization is governed by definite regularities and laws.
- Deregulation of various activities and other factors of production is necessary.
- A radical separation between planning and performance of the work is essential.
- Management has to bear the main responsibility for transforming an organization. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
5. Consider the following statements with regard to the Finance Commission :
- The 13th Finance Commission was mandated to take stock of the arrangements regarding financing of disaster management with regard to the National Calamity Contingency Fund and the Calamity Relief Fund.
- The 13th Finance Commission highlighted the likely impact of the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax Act.
- The recommendations of the Finance Commissions cover a period of five years.
- The Reports of the Finance Commission are submitted to the Prime Minister. Which of the statements given above are correct?
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 2
6. Anti-bureaucratic approach was most dominant in the writings of
(a) Christopher Hood (b) Ferrel Heady (c) Vincent Ostrom (d) Dwight Waldo
7. The Directorates in a State Government are responsible for
- Policy formulation
- Provision of staff inputs
- Policy implementation
- Rendering advice to Ministries concerned on technical matters Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 3 only (c) 3 and 4 (d) 2, 3 and 4
8. Consider the following statements on ‘line-item’ budget: | ^^^^f
|(d) 1, 3 and 4|
- It is a British legacy.
- It is oriented to a system of checks and counterchecks.
- It facilitates decentralization.
- It is aimed at rigid control over expenditure. Which of the statements given above are correct? ^^^^
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2 and 4 (e) 1 and 2
9. Which of the following are the observations of the Brownlow Committee with regard to the
Independent Regulatory Commissions (IRCs) of USA?
- The IRCs would be better off, if Congressional control over them is strengthened.
- They enjoy power without responsibility.
- They should be converted into adjudicatory boards inside the departments.
- They are an outstanding development in the American federal government. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1, 2 and 3 (c) 3 and 4 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
10. Which one of the following is the first orthodoxy of Public Administration that gave birth to
the discipline of Public Administration?
(a) Public-private dichotomy
(b) Politics-administration dichotomy
(c) Political science-management science dichotomy
(d) Political science-public administration dichotomy
11. Decentralization in the form of deconcentration is NOT truly decentralization, because it
1 Is intra-organizational
2 Is merely a devolution of powers
3 Involves physical shifting of some central activities to a different space
4 Decentres the administration, not the government Correct answer
(a) 1 and 4 (b) 1, 3 and 4 (c) 3 only I (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
12. Dwight Waldo and Herbert Simon challenged politics-administration dichotomy for different
reasons. Which one of the following reasons may be attributed to Waldo?
(a) It is difficult politics from and vice versa to unbundle administration
(b) Administrative involved questions as well as of values decisions of facts
(c) Politics-administration formula was an attempt on the part of the public administration to fulfill the demarcation of administrative jurisdiction
(d) Administration is what the administrators do, just as politics is what the politicians do
13. Which one of the following is not related to New Public Management (NPM) orientation in
(a) NPM’s focus is on outcomes, / rather than inputs
(b) NPM’s explanatory targets are efficiency and customer satisfaction
(c) NPM is essentially a new brand of organization theory
(d) NPM acknowledges the unique cultural and political role of public goods and the public sector
14. Consider the following paragraph:
It is this school of intensive work in the realities of administration that equips an assembly to be
a selecting ground, not for mere demagogues but for effective politicians with a grasp of reality
of which the English Parliament is the supreme example. Only this kind of relationship between
officials and professional politicians generates the continuous control of the administration and
through this the political education of both leaders and led. (Max Weber)
In the above paragraph, Weber formulated a normative principle to govem the relationship between the bureaucrats and the politicians. Which of the following is / are the basic principle(s) identified here?
- Effective politicians need to intervene regularly in the realities of administration.
- The Parliamentary system creates opportunities for the political education for all-the politicians as well as the bureaucrats.
- Control over administration has to be a continuous process to be engaged in by the politicians.
(a) 2 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3
15. The most widely used model of the communication process that evolved from the work of
Shannon, Weaver and Schramm includes the following:
- Source 3. Encoder 5. Message Channel
- Receiver 4. Decoder 6. Feedback H 7. Noise Which one of the following is the proper sequence of the above?
(a) 1-3-5-6-7-2-4 (b) 1-3-5-4-2-6-7 (c) 2-4-5-6-7-1-3 I (d) 3-4-2-6-7-5-1
16. Citizens’ Charter is framed on the principles of
- Co-management of civic services with citizens’ participation in administration
- Assured time-bound quality/quantity of services a Ubh I v
- Simplified procedures for receipt of complaints and their quick redressal
- Provision of performance with citizens’ provision scrutiny involvement Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 2 and 4
17. Which of the following form part of Amitai Etzioni’s classification of control structures?
1. Utilitarian 2. Normative 3. Passive 4. Coercive
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
18. Which of the following metaphors is/are part(s) of the organization change models
formulated in interactions with environment?
- Biological metaphor 3. Political metaphor
- Rational metaphor 4. Public choice metaphor Correct answers
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 only (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
19. Which one of the following correctly conceptualizes the concept of ‘functional foremanship’?
(a) Each employee reporting to his immediate boss in the line of command
(b) Each employee reporting to different superiors (leaders) for different aspects of his work
(c) One foreman responsible for many functions at the shop level
(d) Opposite of the principle of multiplicity of command
20. According to Henri Fayol, all undertakings-large or small, industrial, commercial, political,
religious or others have to perform certain common activities. These are
(a) Executive, legislative, judicial and public relation functions
(b) Financial, accounting, controlling, planning and evaluation functions
(c) Planning, organizing, commanding, controlling and coordination functions
(d) Technical, commercial, financial, security, accounting and managerial functions
21. The concept of hierarchy implies
- The formal structuring of the line of authority and responsibility in an organization from top to bottom
- Superior-subordinate relationship amongst employees of an organization
- An arrangement of all the members of an organization in a pyramidal form for facilitating discipline, control and coordination
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
22. Match: List I (Type of Accountability)
A. Hierarchical C. Professional
B. Legal D. Political
List II (Behavioural Expectation)
- Responsible to key external stakeholders
- Obedience to organizational directions
- Compliance with institutional and regulatory mandates
- Deference to individual judgment and expertise
23. Who of the following is not a part of the Committee that recommends the appointment of the Chief Information Commissioner to the President?
(a) The Prime Minister
(b) The leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha
(c) The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
(d) A Union nominated Minister Cabinet Minister, by the Prime
24. Which one of the following is correct with respect to the Right to Information Act, 2005?
(a) Information relating to Cabinet Papers including records of deliberations of the Council of Ministers are provided
(b) An applicant making request for information is not required to give any reason for the same
(c) Only an institution or an organization can make a request for information
(d) A non-citizen can make a request for information
25. Promotion in the Japanese Civil Service depends on
- Managerial ability
- Negotiating skills
- Professional excellence with demonstrable ability to draft legislation Correct answer
(a) 1 only i (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 I (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
26. The Masterman Committee of Britain deals with
(a) Service conditions of civil servants (c) Functioning of Whitley Councils
(b) Political activities of civil servants (d) None of the above
27. In the Council-Manager form of city government of USA, the Mayor used to be a ceremonial
head. The current trend, however, is towards directly elected full-time Mayor having greater
control over city bureaucracy. Due to these structural changes, the Council Manager cities are
(a) Strong-Mayor cities (c) Mayor-Council cities
(b) Adapted cities (d) Manager-Council cities
28. Sherry Arnstein’s classic paper, ‘A Ladder of Citizen Participation’ presents a typology of
eight levels of participation grouped into a number of discrete clusters. Which of the following
are the correct clusters as identified by him?
- Non-participation 3. Citizen power
- Tokenism 4. Incremental participation Correct answer
(a) 1, 3 and 4 (b) 1, 2 and 3 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 2
29. Which of the following is/are correct with regard to the US Civil Service?
1. Higher Civil Service is both specialist and generalist.
- Professionals serve as Bureau Chiefs.
- Bureaucracy is fragmented.
- Civil servants do not have the right to organize unions. Correct answer
(a) 2 only (b) 1 and 4 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 3 and 4
30. Which one of the following is not a feature of Ashok Mehta Committee recommendations on
Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs)?
(a) Constitutional recognition to the PRIs
(b) Non-involvement of political parties in elections to the PRIs’”
(c) Reservation of seats for SCs and STs
(d) A Minister in charge of Panchayati Raj
31. In which one of the following approaches to decision-making, the bureaucrat is portrayed in
a self-aggrandizing and budget maximizing role?
(a) Rational approach (c) Bargaining approach
(b) Participative approach (d) Public choice approach
32. Which one of the following definitions of ‘public’ dominates the literature in public
(a) Institutional definition (c) Organizational definition
(b) Normative definition (d) Political definition
33. In advocating ‘normative accountability’, Carl Friedrich has argued in favour of
- Professional standard 3. Social values
- Codes of ethics 4. Inner conscience-driven ethics Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 ^ (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 4
34. In the perspective of public administration reform, which among the following major ideas
were introduced by the ‘Reinventing Government’ Phase (1992)?
- Government should empower citizens and public employees alike.
- Government should be customer and mission driven.
- Government should not anticipate but solve problems.
- Government should be entrepreneurial and competitive. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4
35. Which of the following is NOT a part of the conceptualization scheme of ‘publicness’ and
‘privateness’ formulated by Benn and Gaus?
(a) Agency-agent acting privately or publicly
(b) Access-degree of openness that distinguishes publicness from privateness
(c) Scope-extent of social space affected by organizational activities
(d) Interest-relating to status of people who will be better or worse off for whatever is in question
36. Fundamental differences between open and closed models of organization have been
explained in terms of perceptions about
- The nature of human beings
- The role and significance of organization in society
- The organizational environment
- The technological impact on the operating organization Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 1, 2 and 3 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 3
37. Which of the following are included as Hygiene factors in Herzberg’s theory of motivation?
- Salary B_ ^^^3. Recognition
- Supervision 4. Interpersonal relationships Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1 and 4
38. Which one of the following does NOT belong to Shamsul Haque’s typology of the
dimensions of accountability in the context of ‘entrepreneurial management’?
(a) Accountability for what, or the standards of accountability
(b) Accountability to whom, or the agents of accountability
(c) How to assume accountability, or the means of accountability
(d) When to ensure accountability, or the periodicity of accountability
39. In India, an election to constitute a municipality has to be completed
(a) Immediately on completion of its term of five years
(b) Before the expiry of its fixed tenure
(c) Before the expiry of a period of six months from the date of its dissolution
(d) None of the above Explanation: 243 U(3(b))
40. Which one of the following about Article 243G is correct?
(a) Panchayats should be enabled by law to function as an agent of the State Government
(b) Panchayats should be enabled by law to function as institution of self-government
(c) Panchayats will act as the implementing agencies for centrally sponsored schemes
(d) Gram Panchayats answerable to Panchayats will be District
41. The earliest roots of Municipal Administration in India can be traced to
(a) The Government of India Act, 1935
(b) Lord Ripon’s Resolution on Local Self-Government
(c) Establishment of the Municipal Corporation at Madras
(d) The recommendation of the Royal Commission on Decentralization
42. Which of the following did Luther Gulick list as factors impacting the span of control of an
officer in an organization?
(a) Age and location of the organization, nature of the work done and personality of the supervisor
(b) Span of attention of the superior, cooperation, diligence and punctuality of workers
(c) Use of computers, modern information and communication techniques
(d) Informal relations and contacts with subordinates, use of leaders of informal organizations within the formal organization and location of the organization
43. Why did Frederick Taylor emphasize the need for ‘mental revolution’ as an essential requisite
of scientific management? ^k F -
1 It called upon the management to equally divide the functions and responsibilities between managers and workers.
2 Workers were trained, instructed and required to use scientifically developed tools, standardized methods and practices and increase production to maximum extent.
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
44. Consider the following paragraph and using the code given below, identify the leadership
theories discussed in it:
These theories of leadership focus on the actions of leaders, not on their mental qualities or internal states. According to these theories, people can learn to become leaders through teaching and observation. These theories of leadership are based upon the belief that great leaders are made, not born.
(a) Participative theories (c) Situational theories
(b) Behavioural theories (d) Contingency theories
45. ‘Votes of Credit’ provides for making
(a) An exceptional grant which forms no part of current service of any financial year
(b) Any grant in advance in respect of estimated expenditure for a part of any financial year
(c) A grant for meeting an unexpected demand upon resources of India
(d) A grant for additional expenditure upon new service not contemplated in the financial year
The following eight (8) items consist of two statements, Statement I and Statement II. You are to examine these two statements carefully and select the answers to these items using the code given below
(a) Both the statements are individually true and Statement II is the correct explanation of Statement I
(b) Both the statements are individually true but Statement II is not the correct explanation of Statement I
(c) Statement I is true but Statement II is false
(d) Statement I is false but Statement II is true
46. Statement I: The principle of correspondence as defined by Urwick implies that authority and
responsibility of a functionary must be coequal. H TUF
Statement II: Assignment of responsibility to a functionary need not always carry commensurate
authority. Ans: (C)
47. Statement I: All bureaucratic organizations are hierarchically organized.
Statement II: The principle of hierarchy serves as an effective tool for ensuring smooth communication, coordination, supervision and control within an organization. Ans: (A)
- 48. Statement I: ‘Publicness’ in Public Administration is a complex-structured concept. Statement II: Public Administration differs from private administration with regard to at least three major dimensions-locus (agency), focus (public interest) and access (openness). Ans: (A)
- 49. Statement I: Almost all the States in USA are required by law to balance their budgets each year.
Statement II: Frustrated by the growing deficit budgets, the US Congress committed an act of
extraordinary rarity : it increased the budget making power of the President by enacting the Line
Item Veto Act of 1996. L - Ans: ( )
50. Statement I: Usually a vote on account is discussed in detail and voted upon by the
Statement II: A vote on account empowers the Lok Sabha to make a grant in advance for a part
of the financial year pending completion of the budgetary process. Ans: (D)
51. Statement I: A public corporation in India is a statutory entity. Ans: (C)
Statement II: A public corporation is financed by annual appropriations from the Treasury.
52. Statement I: The Weberian model of bureaucracy is undoubtedly less relevant to public
administration today than it used to be in the past.
Statement II: New Public Management approach challenges and replaces the Weberian
bureaucratic model. Ans: (B)
53. Statement I: Traditional literatures on public administration suggested that an organization
should have a narrow span of control, if orders were to be communicated and carried out
Statement II: Simon argued that every principle in the traditional literature had a counter-
principle. If organizations were to maximize effective communication, thereby enhancing
responsiveness and control, there should be a flat hierarchical structure. Ans: (B)
54. Why is M. P. Follett’s concept of ‘Constructive Conflict’ considered innovative?
- It rejects the conventional view of conflict, which is considered intrinsically bad for an organization.
- It views organizational conflicts as natural and unavoidable.
- While rejecting the earlier methods, she advocates conflict resolution through integration. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 3
55. Consider the following significant landmarks towards decentralization in India:
- Report of Montagu-Chelmsford on Constitutional Reforms
- Royal Commission on Decentralization
- Ripon’s Resolution on Local Self-Government
- Report of Balwantrai Mehta Committee
Which one of the following is the correct chronological order of the above?
(a) 3-1-2-4 J? (b) 4-1-3-2 (c) 2-3-4-1 (d) 3-2-1-4
56. Which one of the following statements is not true regarding Scientific Management
Movement in public administration?
(a) Both Frederick Taylor and Henri Fayol contributed to the corpus of ideas called Scientific Management
(b) While Taylor concentrated on shop management, Fayol focused his analysis on functions of the top management
(c) While Fayol advocated the 14 principles of management, Taylor firmly believed that management of work is a true science based on one best way of doing things
(d) While Taylor had been concerned with the pedagogy of management, Fayol in contrast, focused on the micro-processes of work
57. Which one of the following is not true with regard to the Report of 2nd Administrative
Reforms Commission regarding training of higher Civil Services in India?
(a) The practice of having a Common Foundation Course for all Group ‘A’ Services may continue
(b) Successful completion of training be made mandatory for promotions
(c) Eminent experts be included on governing bodies of national training institutes
(d) A new national training policy be framed
58. Which one of the following is the foundational basis of Public Choice Theory?
(a) Methodological individualism (c) Critique of Marxist class contradiction
(b) Neo-liberal cosmopolitanism (d) Political rationality
59. Why did Gulick and Urwick prefer administrative departments headed by single top
executive (bureau system) to administrative units headed by plural bodies like boards /
- In their view, committees are cumbersome and wasteful.
- They were influenced by the Report of the US President’s Committee on Administrative Management.
- They found that higher-level administrators almost always head conspicuously well-managed administrative units.
- Collective wisdom, in their view, facilitates taking sound administrative decisions. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1, 3 and 4
60. In which of the following circumstances, courts are debarred to interfere in electoral matters?
- Delimitation of constituencies
- Allotment of seats to the constituencies
- Election petition presented to appropriate authority provided under the law
- Election results Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 3
61. A Performance Budget is a technique emphasizing most on a scheme
(a) Of planning to deploy public resources to achieve the best results
(b) For ensuring financial control legislative
(c) For co-relating relationship between outputs and inputs
(d) Providing justification for all programmes and activities
62. The evolution of the study/discipline of Public Administration has witnessed many
paradigms. The politics-administration dichotomy paradigm identified the locus of public
administration in the
(a) Governments’ bureaucracy (c) Judiciary
(b) Legislature (d) Council of Ministers
63. After the Second World War, the scope of the study and practice of Public Administration
widened leaps and bounds, because of
- Post-War rehabilitation and reconstruction of the economy
- Spread of the concept of Welfare State Which of the reasons given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only I (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
64. The conceptualization of organization ‘as a designing process’ may be regarded as limited,
one-sided and incomplete, because it
- Highlights the formal structural aspect of the organization only
- Privileges tasks and functions over the members of the organization j
- Focuses on the organizational efficiency only Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 and 3 (c) 2 and 3 - (d) 1, 2 and 3
65. Consider the following statements
- The classical model of rational choice allows all members of an organization to make choices.
- Herbert Simon’s model of decision-making takes into account both rational and non-rational aspects of organization members.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
66. As per the Constitution (74th Amendment) Act, Legislatures of States have NOT been
conferred the power to empower municipalities with the responsibility of
(a) Preparation of plans for economic development and social justice
(b) Management of law and order
(c) Implementation of schemes as may be entrusted to them
(d) Levy, collection and appropriation of taxes, duties, tolls, etc.
67. Which of the following does not find mention in Philip Selznick’s key tasks of leadership?
(a) The definition of institutional mission and role
(b) The institutional generation of resources
(c) The defence of institutional integrity
(d) The ordering of the internal conflict
68. Commenting on the relationship between political development and administrative
development, Fred Riggs advocated that a strong bureaucracy is
(a) Mostly helpful to political development
(b) Inimical to political development
(c) Somewhat helpful to political development
(d) Neither helpful nor inimical to political development
69. Which of the following is/are correct regarding the Planning Commission?
- Deputy Chairman has always been a whole-time member.
- Some Union Cabinet Ministers have been part-time members.
- Members of the Planning Commission enjoy the status of a Cabinet Minister.
- Number of whole-time expert members has varied.
(a) 2 and 4 (b) 4 only (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
70. Which of the following are the non-divestiture options of privatization of sick public
enterprises in India in the era of liberalization?
1. Restructuring 2. Contracting out 3. Management buy-out 4. Joint ventures Correct answer
(a) 2 and 4 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
71. Which one of the following is not correct regarding the Comptroller and Auditor General
(CAG) of India?
(a) His salary and other service conditions are determined by the Parliament
(b) He shall take an oath before the President
(c) He may also before any appointed on President
(d) He can be removed on the grounds as in case of a Judge of High Court take an oath other person behalf of the
72. According to Article 78 of the Constitution of India, the Prime Minister has to furnish
information to the President in respect of
- All decisions of Council of Ministers relating to administration of the affairs of the Union
- Submitting for consideration of Council of Ministers any matter on which a decision has been taken by a Minister, but not considered earlier by the Council of Ministers
- Submitting proposals for Legislation as the President may call for
- International treaties Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 4
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1, 2, 3
73. In which one among the following books, the idea of ‘sunk costs’ assumed theoretical
(a) Aaron Wildavsky’s ‘The Politics of the Budgetary Process’
(b) Herbert Simon’s ‘Administrative Behaviour’
(c) Dwight Waldo’s ‘The Administrative State’
(d) Anthony Downs’ ‘An Economic Theory of Democracy’
74. Consider the following statements:
- The personnel of the All-India Services serve in the Central Government, Union Territories and States.
- They bring a national perspective to their jobs.
- The marks obtained by them in the Foundational Training are not added to the marks secured in the Combined Competitive Examination of the UPSC.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 2 only (d) 1 and 2
75. Haileybury School is associated with
(a) British Indian Army (c) British Indian Judiciary
(b) Indian Civil Service (d) British Indian Press
76. A Money Bill deals with
- Abolition and regulation of any tax . J B ^ —
- Giving any guarantee by the Government of India for borrowing of money
- Custody of Public Account
- Withdrawal of money from Contingency Fund of India Correct answer
(a) 1 & 2 (b) 1, 2, 3, 4 (c) 1, 2, 4 (d) 3 & 4
77. Which one of the following is not true of the attributes of New Public Administration?
(a) Based on normative political theory
(b) Administration with social concerns, humanism, participation and democracy / decentralization
(c) Scientism and separation fact-value
(d) Emphasis on the dimension of administration ethical public
78. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct regarding the State vs. Market debate?
(a) State and Market are two sovereign independent entities
(b) State and Market function in complementary relationship
(c) Although Market is self-regulatory, crisis situations invite intervention by the State
(d) Imperfection of either State or Market would reflect on the efficacy of the other
79. Which of the following powers does the President of India assume during the Proclamation
- He can issue directions to any State.
- He has the right to alter or amend distribution pattern of financial resources between the Union and States. XJ_J^L \
- He can extend the life of the Lok Sabha by 6 months at a time.
- He can empower the Parliament to frame laws on the subjects under List II. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 4 L (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1 and 2
80. The President is recommended by the Finance Commission as to the
- Distribution of net proceeds of taxes between the Union and States
- Principles governing grants-in-aid of the revenues of States out of Contingency Fund of India
- Measures to augment Consolidated Fund of a State to supplement resources of Municipalities
- Measures to augment Consolidated Fund of a State to supplement resources of Panchayats Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1, 3 and 4 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 3 and 4
81. Which of the following are within the mandate of the 73 rd Amendment to the Constitution of
- Disqualification provision for Panchayat membership
- Setting up of a State Finance Commission J^^^^^^’ .
- Empower the State Election Commission to hold periodic local government elections
- Constitution of a District Planning Committee Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3
82. In comparative public administration, there is
- Search for a theory of public administration
- Practical application of knowledge
- Comparative analysis of ongoing problems of public administration
- Neglect of cultural factors from comparative analysis of administrative systems Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
83. According to Fred W. Riggs, Development Administration involves an egg-chicken type of
relationship between two major factors. They are
(a) Politics and administration
(b) Administration of development, and law and order
(c) Administration of development and development of administration
(d) Agraria and industria
84. Who of the following is not appointed by the Governor?
(a) State Council of Ministers (c) State Director General of Police
(b) State Advocate General (d) Members of State Public Service Commissions
85. The New Public Administration approach is the offshoot of the
(a) First Minnowbrook Conference
(b) Second Minnowbrook Conference H j
(c) Writings of Ferrel Heady and Sybil L. Stokes
(d) Theory of prismatic society coined by Fred W. Riggs
86. The paradigm shift towards liberalization, privatization and globalization in public policy has
- New Public Management / approach 3. Reliance on public choice- / based approach
- Rejection of the administrative / state 4. Bureaucratic expansion I Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 3 and 4
87. Consider the following statements regarding Maslow’s theory of motivation
- Human needs are not watertight compartments, but relative.
- Human needs clusters.
- Self-actualization needs are of topmost importance all the time.
- The emergence of human needs is gradual. Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 4 only (d) 1 and 4
88. Which one of the following is NOT a characteristic of Weber’s theory of bureaucracy?
(a) Distribution of activities in a random way (c) Fixed jurisdictional arena
(b) Written documents (d) Authority to give commands
89. Unlike other classical Frederick Taylor was interested in writers, mainly
(a) Overall organizational problems
(b) Problems arising out of mechanization of the work setting
(c) Practical problems of efficiency
(d) Changing context of capitalism
90. Which among the following is / are the main emphasis/emphases of the classical theory of
- Design and rules
- Behaviour and motivation
- Deduction rather than induction
- Prescribed relationships among assigned responsibilities Correct answer
(a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
91. Which of the following conditions is / are necessary for undertaking the exercise of
- Advance programming of government operations on a short-term basis
- End results of the programme must be measurable
- Total outlay must be capable of allocation between fixed and variable costs
- Budget should provide for the entire project cost from a long-term point of view Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 3 only (d) 2 and 3
92. Which one of the following perspectives is owed to Max Weber in his formulation of
(a) Personal ethics (b) Ethics of responsibility (c) Situational ethics (d) Regime values
93. Why did James Mooney describe the principle of Coordination as the first principle of
- It is an all-inclusive principle which provides unity of action.
- It expresses unity of action in pursuit of a common purpose.
- It contains devices for distribution of authority.
- It makes leadership imperative. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 1 and 3 (c) 2 and 4 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
94. What are the rationales behind the principle of Supervision in public administration?
- It is an extension of the leadership function.
- It involves the function of direction and guidance to subordinates.
- It facilitates coordination of work.
- It is the principal means to identify errant workers.
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 1, 2 and 3
95. Which one of the following is not a function of a State Finance Commission?
(a) Determination of taxes, duties and tolls which may be assigned to Panchayats
(b) Grant-in-aid to Panchayats from Consolidated Fund of the Union Government
(c) Measures to improve financial position of Panchayats
(d) Distribution of the net proceeds of fees leviable by the State between the State and Panchayats
96. The Metropolitan Planning Committee while preparing the draft plan has to give due regard
- Matters of common interest between Municipalities and Panchayats
- Overall objectives and priorities set by the Union Government
- Plans prepared by Panchayats in Metropolitan areas
- Contingent emerging calamities circumstances out of natural Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 4 —(c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3
97. Which one of the following agencies does not have statutory oversight over public
(a) The Parliament (c) The Comptroller and Auditor General
(b) The Planning Commission (d) The Finance Ministry
98. As per the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India, the rules for the first constitution of
District and Regional Councils are prepared by
(a) The Ministry of Government of India Home
(b) The Chief Minister in consultation with existing tribal councils or other representative tribal organizations of the region
(c) The Governor in consultation with existing tribal councils or other representative tribal organizations of the region
(d) The State Legislature
99. Match: List I (Feature)
A. Internal accountability C. Efficiency, economy and effectiveness
B. Self-serving bureaucracy D. Efficiency and economy
- New public management
List II (Theory)
3. Public choice theory
4. Max Weber’s bureaucratic theory
100. Which one of the following does not figure in bureaucratic forms as suggested by Merle
(a) Representative bureaucracies (c) Neutral bureaucracies
(b) State party bureaucracies (d) Military-dominated bureaucracies
101. The paradigm of ‘reversals’ mooted by Robert Chambers in the context of development
- Spatial reversals 3. Reversals in specialization
- Reversals in professional values and preferences 4. Management reversals Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
102. Civil society’s contribution to ‘good governance’ has in recent times been highlighted in
Robert Putnam’s research work on ‘social capital’ which stands for
- Social cohesion 3. Civic ethos
- Democratization 4. Network of primary associations Correct answer
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 2 and 4
103. The First Administrative Reforms Commission recommended gradations when writing
the confidential reports of secretariat officers of the level of Under Secretary and above. Which
one of the following gradations was NOT included in their recommendations?
(a) ‘Fit for promotion’ (c) ‘Unfit for promotion’
(b) ‘To be sent for training before promotion’ (d) ‘Not yet fit for promotion’
104. Bridging ‘fiscal deficit’ is a major problem in governmental budgeting. This is sought to
be solved through
- Market borrowing
- Selling of government securities
- Funds like and small tapping deposit provident fund savings schemes Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1 only
105. In conceptualizing the motivations of the bureaucrats, Anthony Downs’ classification of
bureaucratic personalities has shed new light on the realities of bureaucratic performance. His
1. ‘Climbers’ 2. ‘Conservers’ 3. ‘Politicians’ 4. ‘Statesman’
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
106. Which of the following are true of New Public Administration?
- It is client-oriented and concerned with social equity.
- It is an outcome of globalization.
- It decreases the role and importance of bureaucracy.
- It is supportive of innovation and change. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
107. Which of the following statements is / are correct?
- The Vice-Minister (Administrative) in Japan is a civil servant. j
- A French bureaucrat is more a public servant than a public official.
- American civil servants at the top level can be political appointees. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 only (c) 3 only (d) 1 and 3
108. In American context, Nicholas Henry observes that “Public Administration is the device
used to reconcile bureaucracy with democracy”. Which of the following truly reflect his
- A superior understanding of government and its relationship with the society it governs
- Encouragement to public policies to be more responsible to the social needs
- Conscious planning to overcome the constraints of tradition upon the functioning of
4. Institution of managerial policies attuned to effectiveness, efficiency and requirements of the
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
109. Which one among the following recommendations of Satish Chandra Committee for
recruitment to higher Civil Services did the Government accept?
(a) The number of attempts for candidates belonging to SC and ST be limited to six
(b) The age limit candidates may 21-26 years for general be limited to
(c) De-linking of Seven Central Group ‘A’ Services and Eight Central Group ‘B’ Services from Combined Civil Service
(d) Total marks of interview test be increased from 250 to 300
110. Which of the following statements is/are correct in respect of New Public
1. It is a philosophical movement of the 1970s.
2. It elevates techniques over values.
3. It focuses on issues of social equity and social change.
4. It is basically normative. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 1, 3 and 4 (e) 1 and 3 (d) 4 only
111. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct regarding the changing role of the
District Collector after independence?
(a) The Collector is vested with powers under various Central and State laws either by express provisions or by delegation
(b) The emergence of several technical departments at the district level under the State has reduced the Collector’s authority
(c) Even in times of natural calamities, the Collector’s supremacy no longer prevails
(d) The Collector’s role in rural development is affected by his relationship with the Zila Parishad
112. In employer-employee relationship, Whitleyism stands for
- Joint consultative machinery between the government and its employees
- A forum for free discussion and redressal of individual grievances ‘ j
- A form of arbitration compulsory Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 only (c) 2 and 3 (d) 2 only
113. A number of streams run through the ‘Open Model’ of organization theory’s overarching
framework. Which one of the following falls outside this typology of streams?
(a) Administrative or generic management (c) Human relations school
(b) Organization development (d) Organization-environment interaction
114. Which of the following are the features of the Fused model of Fred Riggs?
1. Particularism 2. Attainment 3. Ascriptive values 4. Functionally diffuse
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4
115. Which of the following is/are true with respect to the Public Accounts Committee?
- Its work is based solely on the audit reports of the CAG.
- It examines the accounts of the Government of India for appropriations made by the Lok Sabha.
- It examines the accounts of autonomous and semi-autonomous bodies.
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 2 (d) 3 only
116. As per Herbert Simon, which one of the following is the correct order of the three key
activities that are central to decision-making?
(a) Choice-design-intelligence (c) Intelligence-design-choice
(b) Planning-choice-design (d) Intelligence-choice-design
117. Which of the following are the contributions of Comparative Administration Group in the
development of public administration?
- It facilitated cross-cultural research relevant to public administration.
- It enriched the literature on public administration.
- It supplied intellectual inputs for technical assistance programmes.
- Its mainstream remained ethno-centric. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 U (d) 1, 2 and 4
118. Which of the following are the recommendations of the 2nd Administrative Reforms
- Creation of autonomous personnel boards on a statutory basis for assisting the high-level political authorities
- At the higher level-say the Joint Secretary level-all posts should be open for recruitment from a wide variety of sources including the open market
- Constitutional safeguards provided to civil servants under Article 311 should be considered sacrosanct
- The specialist should not be required to play second fiddle to the generalist at the top Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
119. Which one of the following is not correct in respect of the Civil Service of France?
(a) ENA is responsible for recruitment and training of higher civil servants
(b) A career civil servant cannot hold a ministerial post
(c) A civil servant is recruited to a corps and stays in it for the rest of his career
(d) A civil servant can go on deputation with right of ‘reintegration’ into his corps
120. Which of the following matters are brought before Staff Councils attached to each Ministry in the Central Secretariat for discussion?
- Welfare of staff members 3. Improving efficiency and standard of work
- Working conditions of staff members 4. Salary structure and perks Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 4